By Katie Berger
Happy Wednesday freeFall fans! Summer is HERE and with it comes rehearsal for our summer show — MAME! The cast has arrived and music is being learned, all to get ready for the show to open on July 11th!
For those of you not familiar with this great Jerry Herman musical, here is a little MAME 101 to whet your whistle and get you ready to see the show in July!
Life is a banquet and most poor sons of bitches are starving to death
- Mame was written by Jerome Lawrence and Robert Edwin Lee, with music and lyrics by Jerry Herman.
- It is based on the novel “Auntie Mame” by Patrick Dennis.
- It is set in New York City. The action spans the time from the Great Depression to World War 2.
- The musical had it’s original Broadway production at the Winter Garden Theatre in 1966, starring Angela Lansbury and Beatrice Arthur.
- The original production was nominated for 8 and won 3 Tony Awards – Best Leading Actress in a Musical (Angela Lansbury), Best Featured Actor in a Musical (Frankie Michaels), and Best Featured Actress in a Musical (Beatrice Arthur).
- In 1974, Lucille Ball starred in the film adaptation.
- There was a 1983 Broadway revival, also starring Angela Lansbury.
- The show follows Mame Dennis, an eccentric New Yorker who is now expected to take care of her nephew, Patrick.
- Other characters include Mame’s best friend Vera Charles, Mame’s personal secretary Agnes Gooch, and the snooty executor Dwight Babcock.
I am so excited to see what this cast, led by our very own Matthew McGee brings to this hilarious story. Tickets are selling FAST, so make sure to snatch them up while they are still available. See you at the theatre!